Transparency

What a fantastic article I just read about transparency and connected learning on MindShift.

It reminded me of the power of social media and peer-to-peer conversations in connecting people with new perspectives and ideas. As the article says "relationships are at the heart of connectivity."

It reminded me how powerful it is to be vulnerable, open and communicative in all relationships -- especially in school communities. I learn the most when I am asking questions, calling for help and admitting what I don't know. That openness builds trust.

It reminded me that this blog is an example of the skills and habits I want to promote . No post is perfect, no idea is finished, but I post anyway. I think, I write, I reflect and I post. I want to focus on being open and connected, not perfectly polished and isolated.

It was also a reminder about getting comfortable with pushback.

' "Including everyone in creating a positive, nurturing and transparent school culture will almost certainly raise questions for parents. “All that pushback is rooted in something,” Mazza said. “If your culture is not transparent, you might have pushback automatically because people aren’t used to sharing what they’re doing. They might not feel it’s safe to do that.” Mazza sees pushback as a way to bring more people into the discussion. Connected, transparent school leaders are comfortable with pushback, Mazza said.

“You can’t expect everyone to get it the first time you articulate something,” Mazza said. The only thing a transparent leader can do is keep communicating at every step along the way, continually articulating why he is taking that step and answer questions.' 

Finally, it reminded me about integrity. If educational leaders are not honest and connected to the educational vision they espouse, any communication about that vision will be ineffective and hollow. You have to believe, and then get to work connecting and doing.

https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2014/05/19/how-transparency-can-transform-school-culture/ 

Comments

Popular Posts