PoCC through Makerspace

I just returned from the People of Color Conference in Anaheim, CA. A handful of local schools were asked to collaboratively create a space conference where attendees could go to try "making" and have conversations about the intersection of innovation, technology, diversity and social justice.

I was very thankful for all the equipment and expertise my Viewpoint team provided to me before I left town. Lisa Kessler, Lara Didden and David Martin are expert teachers who have a gift for design and making in the classroom.

        

Being an ambassador in this space was a remarkable experience. The conversations I had with conference goers about women and minorities in STEAM, design thinking, collaboration, divergent thinking and the need for diversity of thought and voice were refreshing and inspiring.

I worked with a team from the Heart of Los Angeles who deliver STEM programming to underserved youth near MacArthur Park. They reminded me that problem solving and real world challenges are at the heart of great learning, not high end technology.

I connected with a film and video teacher @gwendyschiller who runs the Makerspace at a boarding school in the east who reminded me how important it is to continue to challenge assumptions and question long standing institutional practice.

I spoke with @ed_saber about his presentation about the power of connecting diversity and technology work under the umbrella of innovation. He and his team used the language of innovation to promote diversity and inclusivity work.


And Chandra Smith of Madeira School reminded me about the beauty and simplicity of bio-engineering and its role in STEM and STEAM education.

I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn with so many remarkable people. This is a conference I won't soon forget.




Comments

Popular Posts