Cult of Pedagogy

I love to listen to podcasts. Personal vignettes or memoirs are my favorite listening -- podcasts like This American Life, Fresh Air and The Moth. Each story feels like a gift, a tiny key or a puzzle piece that brings me one small step closer to understanding what it means to be human. I also love non-fiction. Poscasts like Radio Lab, Criminal and Invisibilia teach me about the history or science behind phenomena that effect civilization, past and present. I've been searching for a podcast about education that I love. I've tried a few, but they often felt esoteric or philosophical in ways that rang hollow in comparison to my on the ground experience in K-12 classrooms. That is, until I found Cult of Pedagogy.

Cult of Pedogogy is run by Jennifer Gonzalez who has assembled a team that produces podcasts, blogs, videos and online courses about the study and craft of teaching. Every single thing I have read, listened to or watched on the site has gifted me with at least me one important take away or insight. Every. Single. Time. I know I am late to this party because Gonzalez has been blogging since 2013, but it looks like some of her newer material has just come out, including an online course and hyperlinked .pdf doc about teaching with technology, both of which look pithy and practical. For those two learning tools she charges the user, but if the content is anything like the free stuff on her site, I bet it is worth it.

As a tech integrationist and promoter of innovative and inspired learning, here are a few of my favorite things on the site that I have found so far.

Genius Hour 
How Hyper Docs can Transform your Learning
Using Playlists to Differentiate Instruction
Project Based Learning
Ideas for Student Projects using GSuite

What I appreciate most about Gonzalez is her acknowledgement of the art AND the science behind great teaching. The site's content reflects this essential balance and makes learning feel connected and human without sacrificing the research and science behind sound teaching strategy. The Cult of Pedagogy podcast is part memoir and part non-fiction, the perfect combination for me!

Comments

Popular Posts