Assumptions

The guilt of not having posted in almost a year almost kept me from posting ever again. But it's a new school year, and that is the time of year for high minded resolutions. So here I am, resolving to try and post once a month. Wish me luck.
-----------
As we wrap up a series of back-to-school meetings and in-service days, I find myself thinking about the ecosystem of a school's employees, and the many assumptions we make about one another. 


...the assumptions the experienced faculty make about the new employees. And the new of the old.

...assumptions the wedded folks make about the singletons. And those with children make about the childless.

...assumptions the staff make about the faculty. And the faculty of the staff.

...assumptions the faculty make about the administrators. And the administrators of the faculty.

And I don't mean all assumption to be, by default, negatives like "They've got it easy" or "What a prima donna." Some assume happiness when there is chronic stress, or fulfillment where there is loneliness, or confidence when there is uncertainty.  

And objectively I know that seeing patterns, drawing conclusions, stereotyping and using other mental shorthand is how social animals make sense of the world.  But this year I'm going to do my best to appreciate more and assume less. Because everyone has a story, and more often than not, it's a complicated one.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Philo


Comments

Popular Posts