Differentiation and Pottery



Test scores. Homework averages. Placement tests. Metrics. 

It's been one of those weeks when the "Sirens" of evaluations, data and GPA raise their voices in an attempt to pull me off course. This 4 minute video that features Penn State professor Chris Staley is the perfect antidote. It reminded me about the importance of the individual. It reminded me to appreciate the beautiful imperfections in students, in faculty and in myself. And it reminded me that learning (and teaching) is intensely personal. 

As I watched the video a second time, I realized Staley's pottery was a wonderful metaphor for differentiation. Classrooms are messy. Lessons are unpredictable. And all students are different. As Staley says in the video, "Everyone has a story. Everyone has been touched by the people they met along the way." Only by appreciating those unique stories are we able to effectively teach each one of our students. How can we help each student learn when we don't understand his or her story, or value his or her differences? 

In other words, sometimes metrics just need to take a hike.





Comments

Popular Posts